Tradition has taught over many years that Lucifer is Satan. This tradition, we are told, comes out of two chapters . . . Ezekiel 28 and Isaiah 14 which we will look into with great care. First of all let us acknowledge that the Devil or Satan (as laid out in ‘re-think’ No.11) never did start out with any wisdom, holiness or glory. Lucifer was in the garden of Eden ... says Ezekiel’s account; so Lucifer has to be either God (that’s not possible) or the Serpent or Adam . . . there was just no-one else! It is between the Serpent (Devil) or Adam! Let us investigate this challenging problem.
It is an known fact that Satan is a spirit for in John 13:27 we read that Satan entered into Judas . . . ‘man’ cannot enter into man! A second principle is never let an illustration become a teaching and a third one is that a spirit creates thoughts. The ‘Garden of Eden’ equates to one’s life in which we have the mind of Christ (Tree of Life) and our own carnal reasoning thinking (Tree of knowledge of good and evil). John 3:13 shows that Jesus was in heaven fully connected with His Father’s thinking . . . He obviously had the mind of Christ . . . with His feet on the earth.
God created and formed ‘man’ out of the earth and Adam was in God’s image and likeness. Such a condition reflected what God was . . . he was therefore perfect, rich in every way, beautifully wise, complete with his covering of light and able to do God’s will (thinking) fully.
Adam became aware of his light-covering, beauty, wisdom etc. for the Serpent had planted such thoughts into Adam and Eve. Adam became proud (his heart was lifted up) believing that his greatness was because he had done it. . . that he was the source of it! In Genesis 3, he and Eve succumbed to the Serpents suggestion ‘Eat ... and ye shall be as gods’, that by eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, they (as one) would be as gods. They ate and then discovered that they had lost their light-covering and that they were naked. They entered into a much lower expression of life.
Ezekiel’s account is concerning a ‘man’ (not a spirit). (1) The word of the LORD came again unto me, saying, (2) Son of man, say unto the prince of Tyrus, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thine heart is lifted up, and thou hast said, I am a God, I sit in the seat of God, in the midst of the seas; yet thou art a man, and not God, though thou set thine heart as the heart of God: Back to the garden of Eden ... it was Adam’s heart that was lifted up and desired to be as god . . . caught in the Serpent’s challenge!
(3) Behold, thou art wiser than Daniel; there is no secret that they can hide from thee: The Devil does not have access to all knowledge especially to God’s understanding . . . Adam did at first.
(4) With thy wisdom and with thine understanding thou hast gotten thee riches, and hast gotten gold and silver into thy treasures: The Devil, being a spirit, does not have riches of gold and silver etc.
(5) By thy great wisdom and by thy traffick hast thou increased thy riches, and thine heart is lifted up because of thy riches: (6) Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thou hast set thine heart as the heart of God; (7) Behold, therefore I will bring strangers upon thee, the terrible of the nations: and they shall draw their swords against the beauty of thy wisdom, and they shall defile thy brightness. One cannot fight a spirit with natural swords! (8) They shall bring thee down to the pit, and thou shalt die the deaths of them that are slain in the midst of the seas.
(9) Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? But thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of him that slayeth thee. One cannot ‘slay’ a spirit! (12) Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Verse 2 introduces us to the ‘prince’ of Tyrus and in verse 12 he has become a ‘king’. A true picture of one having been under authority (prince) to becoming one in authority (king ... god!). (13) Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, . . . the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. (14) Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Adam started out with a perfect walk with God. Adam was first created a spiritual being (Gen.1:26) and later was placed in a body (Gen.2:7). As a spirit-being, he was cherub status, set in place by God.
PERFECT UNTIL . . .
(15) Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. The Devil was not created perfect as Adam was! The Devil was a murderer from the beginning: he sinned from the beginning; he was the father of lies, there was not truth in him! However Adam was perfect being in the image of God ... until iniquity was found in him.
Adam was created corruptible; became corrupted and passed onto all men his corruption. The Second Adam, Christ-Jesus, was born corruptible, resisted sin in every form and was not corrupted; He died taking our corruption and rose from the dead incorruptible . . . that incorruptible, victorious life is now been given to us by the grace of God.
((4) That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! The golden city ceased! The king of Babylon had oppressed people relentlesly and he was losing all what he had gained. When this man is taken down, then the earth rejoices. (7) The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing. (8) Yea, the fir trees rejoice at thee, and the cedars of Lebanon, saying, Since thou art laid down, no feller is come up against us.
(9) Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations. The Devil does not go to hell — the lake of fire, yes! — hell’s dealings are for unbelieving mankind.
(10) All they shall speak and say unto thee, Art thou also become weak as we? Art thou become like unto us? The ‘us’ being the failed chief ones of the EARTH!
(11) Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee. Satan, the Devil or the serpent are not buried in a grave! In fact a spirit cannot be buried!
The word ‘Lucifer’, from the Hebrew, is HEYEL and is translated Shining One, Morning-Star or Lucifer. Morning-Star equates with Day-Star. Here is the only mention of ‘Lucifer’. (12) How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! Adam was the ‘son’ of God, his Father. It was Adam who ‘fell’ from God’s presence . . . the Devil is controlled! (13) For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: ‘Man’ wants to ‘run’ the congregation! (14) I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. The Serpent offered this position to Adam and he fell for it!
Page 777, footnote ‘n’ informs us that Lucifer being Satan is erroneous. Lucifer comes from the latin equivalent of PHOSPHOROS which is used of a title for Jesus in 2 Pet.1:19 and corresponds to the name ‘bright and morning star’. Luke 10:18 has been incorrectly used to lead us astray. Adam had the ability to think heavenly thoughts and then he fell to the earthly realm of thinking producing demonic thoughts which can be overcome in us by the power that God has provided in Jesus Christ.
Adam was Lucifer who fell and lost all dragging all mankind down with him . . . no longer being ‘The Shining One’. Lucifer today is the fallen Adamic natural-reasoning carnal nature in us. The Second Adam (Christ) has restored all that the first Lucifer-Adam lost that we may be clothed upon with Light and Beauty (Psalm 52:1).
So Adam fits the ‘bill’ of who Lucifer was! And so now, today, we see why ‘carnal man’ is so very responsive to the Devil’s (Serpent’s) authority and suggestions!
Do not commend your friends and acquaintances to the care and so-called ‘blessing’ from ‘god Luc’ (short for LUCifer) for your would be re-commending them to draw their strength from fallen man’s carnal weak nature who still reckons he is a god and can run his life quite well! §